Monday, April 24, 2017

Digital Writing Reflection

As the semester comes to an end, every single class has asked me to write a reflection about the class in some form or another. In total, I have written seven reflections, including this one. Why such an emphasis on writing reflections?

Reflections allow us to, well, reflect. Without reflection, is true learning actually taking place? John Dewey once said, "We don't learn from experience. We learn from reflecting on experience."

I am not sure I learned much about myself as a writer through this blog assignment. Perhaps I was more reminded that I need to set time aside for writing, no matter what the topic may be. To take the time out to write because only through practice can I become better at it.

I think the thing I learned from this writing experience is about how vital being active in the blogging community is. It is important to have people who read and comment on your blog, even it just starts out as your family, friends, or classmates. To have that support system and know that people are actually reading your posts, feels good.

Challenges: Figuring out what to write about for open posts, Taking the time out to sit down and write

Successes: Completing all the posts, learning another blogging platform

In the future, I will try to incorporate blogging into my curriculum as a choice for students to write. Blogging is not everyone's cup of tea, but offering it as an option to my future students is a great way to connect writing to their technology-centered lives.

Thanks for a great semester everyone~ I might continue to use this blog to post about my trip to Seoul, South Korea this summer if anyone is interested or you can follow me on my Instagram @caitidaisy to see my adventures.

I wish you all nothing but the best and happiness in your future endeavors.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! A trip to Seoul? What a great way to share the journey! Open posts are a good reminder for us as teachers when we give kids unlimited choice- sometimes that can be tough. Truelly persevering through the task is part of the process as well as writing is tough no matter the format. Good job!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me how many reflections we have this semester. Haha. But really, I like that you emphasized using blogging as a writing option because I agree that some students enjoy blogging while others would prefer traditional writing assignments. Having a blog is a great option, but I think they are used best for specific purposes and/or as a secondary writing platform.

    Have fun in Korea this summer! My best friend is still there until July so if you see the only ginger girl in Korea, that's probably her. I hope you have fun and learn a lot, good luck with your awesome job prospects! Come see me at work if you're ever in Titusville. I hope to see you again and I'm glad that we became friends. :)

    ReplyDelete