Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Tech Creation

Memes are a vital part of current social media. Students use them, share them, and can even create their own on social media. Using something relevant to our students' lives will help them connect to what is being taught especially if you can tie it into the current pop culture.



I always try to use memes in my powerpoints and lesson when I am teaching. It helps the students better connect with the material, gives them a chuckle, and helps break up the text. I have always just searched for my own online, but sometimes you cannot find the exact meme you want. So, I decided for my tech creation I will look over different meme makers and which ones I prefer.

The first one I tried is called MemeMaker.net. It is pretty simple as you choose an already existing meme background and then you can add whatever text you want to on the bottom and top. It also lets you adjust the text size and color. It does have an option to uploaded your own image for a meme, but I found that the quality, once it was uploaded, was not the best.


The second site I tried out is called imgflip.com. I like it slightly better than the MemeMaker site as it gives you a few more options when you are creating your meme, but is still fairly simple. I also like that it has a search bar you can type in a keyword to find already existing meme backgrounds. I think you would be able to use this to create your own memes as a teacher, but you could also use this as an assignment for students to create a meme based on what they are learning in class.



6 comments:

  1. I like using and creating memes. I also like having students create memes. I just have to sometimes preview them before they share them with the whole class. It gives you some insight into their perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my internship school, they use memes with every bellwork assignment. One of the teachers told me that the students usually get a good laugh out of them (sometimes because they are funny, somethings because they are very corny). It's funny because you would think they wouldn't care about them but the first thing they when the walk in the classroom is immediately look for the meme and start laughing about it/laughing at it with their friends. It's a great way to get them focusing on the board. The ones you have highlighted seem to be great ways to create them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a great idea to use them in the bellwork. I'll have to try that,thanks.

      Delete
    2. That's actually a great idea to use them in the bellwork. I'll have to try that,thanks.

      Delete
  3. Haha, I love the meme work. I also really want to use memes and stuff in the classroom. One of the teachers at my internship school has students create memes and she decorates the classroom with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hesitant about memes in the classroom because of how corny I will look if I use them. I do like what Daniel said about attaching them to the bellwork! I can see how they could be something to grab their attention while giving them a moment to relax. I also think it would be great to get submissions from students to be able to put up as long as their appropriate.

    ReplyDelete